elortbcu

Moderator: Angel

Zteduh
Contributor
Contributor

Light leak? Please help diagnose

Post by Zteduh » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I have a 5+ year old HL-S7178W. I did replace the bulb a year ago or so (did it myself) but I am having a new issue. On the center of the screen just above the big circular power button there now appears a glow that is especially visible when viewing letterbox movies (i.e., the lower portion of the screen is supposed to be black). If you view from a low angle it is much harder to see but as soon as you stand up it is like there is a flashlight inside pointing up from the bottom center of the TV. Any ideas? Full screen programming does not seem to have the problem (or at least I do not notice it).

Not sure if it is related, but my set also sounds like a cooling fan (color wheel?) is dirty or something. It is only noticeable when you are very close to the set and when powering down (can hear a fan rubbing as it slows to a stop). Does not effect picture quality.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Zteduh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Light leak? Please help diagnose

Post by Zteduh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:02 pm

I think I may have solved my own problem. I opened one of the "port holes" on the side of the set so I could look inside with a flashlight to see if I could determine the source of the light leak. Nothing jumped out at me but I did notice a bit of dust on the projector lens and since that was where the light was coming from I figured I would clean the lens. A yardstick with a microfiber cloth attached to the end of it made quick work of the dust and seemed to have fixed my issue. Must have been light refracting off the dust or something. A side benefit is that my set now seems to have much deeper blacks which would support my theory.

I still have the occasional fan noise which my research on this site would lead me to believe is related to my color wheel but I think I will wait until if/when it fails to do anything about it. Picture is back to beautiful.

Joe

Balthazar

Re: Light leak? Please help diagnose

Post by Balthazar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:51 am

Finding it inside with the flashlight could be best issue. That was the thing makes a nice portion into pointing it. However, they need to recognize the light inside of it.
My TV shows flashlight

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

elortbcu

Post by Wimlok » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:31 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”